In this article, you will discover:
- Common injuries suffered due to premises liability accidents.
- Some real-life examples of cases we have served our clients in.
- How severe some injuries may be from seemingly trivial defects.
What Are Some Common Injuries People Suffer As A Result Of Premises Liability Accidents?
Injuries from premises liability accidents are all different – they are unique to the individual case, and there are so many. Depending on how the person falls, their physical condition, age, and their surroundings at the time will dramatically influence their specific injury.
In the winter, many people fall on icy stairs and sidewalks. New Jersey premises liability law requires commercial property owners to keep their premises sufficiently lit so that people can actually see their surroundings. This has implications, when ice that is hard to see in daylight let alone at night.
Here are some examples of the many premises liability cases we have handled successfully each with a different injury and outcome.
- Client 1 was a flight attendant for an airline. She was at Newark Airport. Our client used the restroom after the cleaners had just mopped the floor. While walking in the restroom, she fell and severely injured herself. The cleaners had not correctly dried the floor. The air terminal is operated by the Port Authority of New Jersey, who had hired a cleaning contractor. Despite many complications, we were able to settle for a healthy amount and get Client 1 sufficient compensation.
- Client 2 fell on black ice outside the apartment house she lived at. It was black ice – ice you cannot easily see, if at all, even in daylight. She fell down a set of stairs, and the owner was responsible in this situation. This case also settled in an excellent resolution.
- Client 3 was at a hotel, walking down a staircase, holding on to the rail. This rail did not meet state code regarding what is acceptable for this type of building and staircase, and for that reasons our client could not grip the railing. As a result, he fell and broke his hip. We retrieved video of him falling via a recording from a security camera and settled for a very large amount of money.
- Client 4 had lived in a four-family house for years. Despite this, we held the property owner accountable under the law when our client fell while walking up a staircase that was not built in line with state code. The steps were higher than the law allowed. Even though our client had walked up these steps countless times before, we resolved this case with a hefty payout.
- Client 5 lived in a development with streets similar to private roads. The community had their own contractors for things like snow removal and ice treatment. One day, the contractor came and put down salt. For whatever reason, there was a lump of salt that was not adequately broken up that was put out to prevent ice from forming. When our client walked out at night, she stepped on this lump and fell, severely injuring herself.
These are just a few examples of our countless experiences serving people who have suffered from negligence. Having a lawyer on your side can help you win similar cases and ensure you are compensated justly for your premises liability case.
With the guidance of a skilled attorney for Premises Liability Cases, you can have the peace of mind that comes with knowing that we’ll make it look easy. For more information on Premises Liability Cases in New Jersey, a free initial consultation is your next best step. Get the information and legal answers by text or call at (973) 204-6573 today.